Tuesday, 13 January 2015

What I am reading in January

January started pretty good, I finished 2 books rather quickly and found myself with only 2 books on my TBR. I started the one that's been on it the longest - Dark Divide by one of my all-time favorite authors, Jennifer Fallon. It's the second part of her Rift Runner Trilogy and unfortunately I didn't feel like reading on. I didn't really like the first part but I kinda feel like I should be reading on because I LOVED every other book she's written so far.. Maybe it will become my project of the year :D

I took a break from reading The Stand by Stephen King. Not because I don't like it - I enjoy reading it but I feel like reading epic fantasy again so I will continue another time.

After I put Dark Divide aside, I ordered a new book and was excited when it arrived 2 days later:

The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson. Isn't the cover beautiful? I don't remember the last time I bought a hardcover book... As I said, the book has been on my list for a while and I couldn't get it in any store or as a kindle version. So finally I ordered it in.. And started reading immediately. The language is really nice and I liked the start of it. Until... well.. I got screwed.. Why did I not check before if there was a freaking love triangle involved?? Bah.. now I am annoyed and stopped reading after page 110. Eventually I will pick it up again but right now I am too much pissed off.

So what then? I was getting pretty frustrated and browsed a bit until I found a sample of The City Stained Red by Sam Sykes. Read it, liked it, bought it. Love the book so far although the style of writing isn't that easy. At least not for me as a German. It's still a very entertaining read and I love the characters and their dialogues. Reminds me a little of Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen for some reason. Definitely a good choice for me!

2 comments:

  1. Eiei, ich hasse Triangles!
    Und Sam Sykes ... der hat so durchwachsene Meinungen angesammelt, dass ich mich bisher noch nicht herangewagt habe. Lasse mich gern eines besseren belehren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ich versteh die Meinungen.. Sykes hat Potential, seine Charas sind interessant, genause wie das setting und er kann wirklich gut schreiben. Aber der Plot ist kaum vorhanden. Am Ende fragt man sich, was das alles sollte.

      Delete