Tuesday, 9 December 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: New-to-me authors I read in 2014

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

Unfortunately not quite 10.

1. Neil Gaiman --> I read one of his short stories in an anthology but decided that it doesn't count ;-) I was curious about Gaiman's novels and next to The Ocean at the End of the Lane I also read American Gods this year. I enjoy Gaiman's style of writing and will definitely read more of his works.

2. John Green --> It was impossible this year to not hear about John Green. I was not particularly interested in his works but read some good reviews on Will Grayson, Will Grayson and one of my best friends told me that it was one of her favourite books. It was alright but I am not sure if I will ever read John Green again. Only if the topic sounds interesting probably..

3. David Baldacci --> The Innocent sounded like something I would like and I was right. It was a well written, gripping thriller with interesting characters and a good solution. All of his other works don't sound too interesting to me though. I picked this particular book because the story reminded me a bit of Leon - The Professional. I like the combination tough, too-cool-to-be-true assassin/police cop and strong-willed, clever teenage girl.

4. Anthony Ryan --> Because his epic fantasy debut was much talked about and high praised. I really enjoyed it but for me the story ends with this. Right now I don't want to read the sequel as it doesn't sound as interesting as the first book.

5. Charlie N. Holmberg --> found her book The Paper Magician while I was browsing and decided to buy it, which was a very good decision! I already read the second part, The Glass Magician and am now waiting for the third and last part. It's a fantasy tale with interesting magic and a love-story that is just awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

6. Jennifer L. Armentrout --> I was looking for high fantasy books that had a teacher-student romance :D Half-Blood came up, I read it, was very disappointed and annoyed and didn't even finish it. What a pile of clichés. No more Armentrout books for me.

7. Erika Johansen --> Came to my attention while I was looking for new books 2014. Queen of the Tearling sounded like a nice standard fantasy tale but in the end it was so much more and really good! I'll read more of Johansen's books!

8. Christopher Nuttall --> Saw The Bookworm on another blog and thought it sounded promising. In the end it wasn't as entertaining as I thought and some things just didn't make sense. The author published some more books that sound interesting to me but I am not sure if I should give him another try.




5 comments:

  1. I enjoy John Green's writing but sometimes it's a bit hard to get into the story or really connect to the characters. I have never read any of Neil Gaiman's book: I started The Ocean at the End of the Lane once but just couldn't get into it. Maybe it's not for me.

    Ah, Charlie N. Holmberg! I really liked The Paper Magician and the Glass Magician too. I really want to read the third one!

    The Queen of the Tearling is on my to-read shelf but I haven't gotten around to it yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem with Green and unfortunately wasn't too attached to the characters...
      The third book by Holmberg will be out next june I think so at least we have a date to look forward to :D Already preordered it!

      Delete
  2. Gaiman and Green are some of my favorites. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great authors on your list! I love Neil and John Green!
    New follower :)
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings
    Enter my blog birthday giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kelly Allan and @Missie, thanks a lot :))
    Neil Gaiman is definitely getting a lot of love here :D Will definitely read some more of his books.

    ReplyDelete